Re: function result cache for pl/pgsql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Manchev
Subject Re: function result cache for pl/pgsql
Date
List pgsql-general
IMHO, pl/perl;s global hash %_SHARED does not provide the same performance.

With pl/perl with some data cached we will get getter performance, that is sure, but the body of the function will be
evaluatedanyway, so there will be some miliseconds lost.

On the other hand, the body of a function with in-memory result cache clause will not be evaluated if the supplied
arguments'result is already cached, and the function will just instantly return the result - which is the timesaver.

So, I would prefer to have such function clause implemented in pgsql, maybe as add-on.

Best,
Peter