question on plpgsql block - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Karthikeyan Sundaram
Subject question on plpgsql block
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hi Gurus,

    I tried a plpgsql block from the php.

    example

    a='begin
      insert into table a values (....);
      insert into table b values (....)
     insert into table c values (...)
     select into p_var ... from table where condtion
     update a set column = <new value> where condition;
    commit;
    end;';

    I works fine when I call this block from php, whereas, I tried to copy the same value from the command line prompt or PGadmin GUI utility.  Then it says "ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block"

  Why?

   Did we need to do any special step up to execute a block or blocks won't execue from command line mode? Please advise.

Regards
skarthi

Your friends are close to you.  Keep them that way.