Re: Unable to start server - winxp - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joost Kuckartz
Subject Re: Unable to start server - winxp
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks for all the help guys,
I actually found the problem and solution.

Maybe for others who will have this, let me recap:
- While installing the msi file I had to disable the initialization in the installer, because of installation on a FAT32 partition
- I then ran the initdb.exe, typing in my own database directory in the commandline using "initdb -D databasedir"
- I then wanted to start the postgresql server using the command "postgres -D database" , where 'database' is the directory
- I got an error I can't run as an admin, but a unpriviledged user needs to start it.

The solution:
- in the initdb.exe, always type "initdb -D ../data", and no other directory. Reason: the service installed in windows xp always points to the data folder within the postgres installation directory. I haven't found a way to change that, so I just run initdb for that dir. Then start the service in the windows service panel (configuration - system control - services - postgresql)

Extra information: Within the installer, the first 'account name' you encounter is the new windows service user account created. The second 'user' in the installer is the superuser for accessing the database.

------
For me this was a long way of founding out, but now I did and I could access the database. So maybe a lot think now I'm a noob with accounts and users and stuff - well maybe I am. I never installed one before, it always was available for me on the webserver I use. But now I need to work a lot with postGIS and mapserver and it's better to do that offline, so that's the reason I jumped into installing it myself.

Looking at your answers you think I had a complete other problem. About postmaster.exe - I don't even know where to find that one. Windows found that one himself when the service was installed I suppose.

-Joost

> Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 18:39:38 +0100
> From: magnus@hagander.net
> To: jkuckartz1984@hotmail.com
> CC: plk.zuber@gmail.com; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Unable to start server - winxp
>
> > So there's no other way to start the server else than to create an
> > unpriviledged winxp user account, or change my user account (and forever
> > not be able to install programs, change settings etc etc.)? There must
> > be, I can't imagine postgresql is in backwards world: making the admin
> > less priviledged than an unpriviledged user.
>
> Taking a peek back through the archives on this, let me just add one
> piece of information: You *can* start the server from an admin account,
> but you have to start it with pg_ctl (or as a service). You can *not*
> start it by directly executing postmaster.exe. This is because you can
> only give up privileges permanently if you cross a process creation
> boundary, which pg_ctl does.
>
> Oh, and this is only in 8.2 of course - for 8.1 and earlier you have to
> use a non-admin account.
>
> >> I can't understand why you didn't follow the standard installer (MSI
> >> package) way of setting things up.
> >>

> > Actually, I did. I didn't change any of the settings pre-given, but
> > still I can't start the postgresql server. The installer refused to
> > initiate the server though, because it's on FAT32. But for that I used
> > the initdb.exe.
>
> If you're running on FAT32, you are doing yourself a *major* disservice.
> But it's your choice.
> Beware that there are some things that don't work on FAT32. For example,
> tablespaces won't work. I can't recall offhand if there is anything
> else, but you're certainly at a *much* larger risk of issues with that
> choice.
>
> //Magnus

Probeer Live.com: je eigen persoonlijke opstartpagina met alleen de dingen die jij belangrijk vindt op één plek. binnen één omgeving.