Re: SQL textbook - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Schmidt
Subject Re: SQL textbook
Date
List pgsql-general
Jan,
There are a lot of resources available.  Each database program has a different dialect of SQL, and I find the PostgreSQL on-line manual has an excellent introduction of SQL and even some theoretical issues.  I would start there (its free and directly applicable to using PostgreSQL).

Searching on the web will yield some tutorials but these tend to be pretty brief.  There is a discussion group at DbForums that has some information.  There are also occasional subject specific articles, such as on data modeling.

Many books are available for download.  Joe Celko is a well respected author and just about anything with his name on it is good.  Here are some specific suggestions.

An introduction to database vocabulary and terms:
Date, C.J. (2006).  The relational database dictionary.  Sebastopol, CA:  O"Reilly

Database design and concepts:
Hernandez, M.J. (2003). Database design for mere mortals (2nd ed.).  New York: Addison-Wesley.

Bagui, S. & Earp, R. (2003).  Database design using entity-relationship diagrams.  New York: Auerbach Publications.

Celko, J.  (1999).  Joe Celko's data and databases:  concepts in practice.  San Francisco: Morgan Kaufman.

SQL
Celko, J. (2005).  Joe Celko's SQL programming style.  Amsterdam: Elsevier.

Gulutzan, P., & Peltzer, T.  (2002).  SQL performance tuning.  New York:  Addison Wesley.

Faroult, S., & Robson, P.  (2006).  The are ot SQL.  Sebastopol, CA:  O'Reilly.

Tow, D.  (2003).  SQL tuning.  Sebastopol, CA:  O'Reilly.