PostgreSQL Replication - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From roy simkes
Subject PostgreSQL Replication
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi,

I'm curious about how this replication thing works. I have read some articles and most of them was about Master-Multi
Slaverelation. Perhaps that's the primary use of replication, make everything in one server and see it's effects in
everyserver. Also it's a performance optimization too. But, anyway, what about a Multi Master relation! I read that
MySQLwas giving a solution as MySQL Cluster but it's only recommended for LAN. And If you have a LAN there you wont
needa multi master replication system a lot if you ask me  (of course I understand that this is done to backup data,
andalso if one server goes down the other keep going but that's not the point and not my main question.)

What about I intend to make a system for WAN which are connected not via fiber optic cables but via internet! Is it
recommendedto use such a replication system. Because the replication will be very asynchronous (if the internet
connectionis low and if it isn't very stable) I guess. A little scenario to explain what I meant more clearly. Let's
saywe have two computers which one is at USA and other in UK. They are both master and both slave according to the data
written.If you enter a data to UK, USA becomes the slave and replicate that data. And the same thing vice versa. Is it
possiblewith PostgreSQL to build such a system. Will it be stable and secure. How much data loss can be guessed (but
yeseven 1bit can't be acceptable in such a case but I don't think this can occur as the data still exists in the other
server.)What are possible problems that can occur. And also what about other databases (MSSQL,Oracle,DB2,MySQL)

It's not very easy to answer this question I think and maybe it does not fit to the novice section, but I dunno much
aboutreplication so I fit to this mailing group :) Anyway, I also welcome articles and other resources to read about
thissubject. (These articles can be about other databases too.)

Thank you for your time

Roy Simkes
Try Live.com: where your online world comes together - with news, sports, weather, and much more.
http://www.live.com/getstarted