Re: database model tshirt sizes - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From NbForYou
Subject Re: database model tshirt sizes
Date
List pgsql-performance
So a default value for all products would be size:"all"

for example, the same tshirt shop also sells cdroms.

It size attribute would be to place it to be :"all". (because we cannot
place an uniqe index on null values)

But the industry evolves and so in time the same cdrom is now available for
pc and playstation.

So i would like to have it as 1 productid but with different attributes: pc
(with quantity 5) and playstation (with quantity 3).
So when I do an insert for this 2 products with 1 productid it would be
like:

insert into versions (productid,size,quantity) values (345,'pc',5);
insert into versions (productid,size,quantity) values (345,'playstation',3);

if however the product existed we get an error:

because the default value version "all" did also exist and is now obsolete

population versions:
================

productid: 123, versionid: 1, color: 'black', size: 'all', quantity: 11
productid: 442, versionid: 2, color: 'yellow', size: 'l', quantity: 1
productid: 442, versionid: 2, color: 'yellow', size: 's', quantity: 4
productid: 442, versionid: 2, color: 'red', size: 'xl', quantity: 9
productid: 442, versionid: 2, color: 'blue', size: 's', quantity: 0
productid: 345, versionid: 3, color: null, size: 'all', quantity: 15
productid: 345, versionid: 3, color: null, size: 'pc', quantity: 5
productid: 345, versionid: 3, color: null, size: 'playstation', quantity: 3

WOULD HAVE TO BE:

population versions:

productid: 123, versionid: 1, color: 'black', size: 'all', quantity: 11
productid: 442, versionid: 2, color: 'yellow', size: 'l', quantity: 1
productid: 442, versionid: 2, color: 'yellow', size: 's', quantity: 4
productid: 442, versionid: 2, color: 'red', size: 'xl', quantity: 9
productid: 442, versionid: 2, color: 'blue', size: 's', quantity: 0
productid: 345, versionid: 3, color: null, size: 'pc', quantity: 5
productid: 345, versionid: 3, color: null, size: 'playstation', quantity: 3

ALSO:

what is versionid used for?