Comments on subquery performance - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From T- Bone
Subject Comments on subquery performance
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hello all,

I created a query that contains two subqueries and joins and would like some
feedback on whether: 1) this approach is logical; and, 2) if this is an optimal approach (performance wise) to return
therecords

I seek.

Essentially, I am attempting to perform a 'lookup' on a value in another
table 3 times, for three different columns.  I have three columns with
category codes in tblListings and would like to 'lookup' the actual category
text in tblCategory.  I have created a functional query that contains two
subqueries and joins, but am concerned this may not be the fastest (or
logical?) way to achieve what I seek.

I thought of another approach to create a function to evaluate the records
on a row-by-row and column-by-column approach, but thought that may prove
even slower.  I would appreciate any comments on my logic or learning of any
alternative means that would result in better performance.

I have included the SQL for reference.  Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jim

----------------------------------------8<-------------------------------------------------

SELECT "CatID1", "CatID2", "CatID3", c1 AS "CatName1", c2 AS "CatName2",
t6."CatName" AS "CatName3"FROM(SELECT "CatID1", "CatID2", "CatID3", c1, t4."CatName" AS c2    FROM  (SELECT
t1."CatID1",t1."CatID2", t1."CatID3", t2."CatName" AS c1        FROM "MySchema"."tblListings" t1        INNER JOIN
"MySchema"."tblCategories"t2        ON (t1."CatID1" = t2."CatID")) t3      LEFT OUTER JOIN "MySchema"."tblCategories"
t4     ON (t3."CatID2" = t4."CatID")) t5  LEFT OUTER JOIN "MySchema"."tblCategories" t6  ON (t5."CatID3" =
t6."CatID");

MSN� Calendar keeps you organized and takes the effort out of scheduling
get-togethers.

first two months FREE*.