Re: Incoming/Sent traffic data - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Maciek Sakrejda
Subject Re: Incoming/Sent traffic data
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
> +1

Alright, then. I'm no Wireshark expert (or a TCP expert, for that
matter), but I'll try to help on-list unless others complain.

Israel,

What I *typically* do is listen on all interfaces, and set the filter
to pgsql (which looks only for PostgreSQL protocol messages). When
running on a different port, you'll need to specify that explicitly or
the pgsql filter will ignore the TCP conversation. E.g., a filter like

tcp.dstport == 4444 or tcp.srcport == 4444 and pgsql

should work.

From there, it's a matter of getting moderately familiar with the wire
protocol [1] and inspecting the messages Wireshark shows you in the
packet details / packet bytes panes.

[1]: http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/protocol.html
---
Maciek Sakrejda | System Architect | Truviso

1065 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Suite 215
Foster City, CA 94404
(650) 242-3500 Main
www.truviso.com