Re: Switching Database Engines - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Carlos Mennens
Subject Re: Switching Database Engines
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 4:29 AM, Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I wouldn't fight with this too much though.  Unless you have some really
> customized stuff in your wiki, there really is nothing wrong with the idea
> of dumping everything into XML, creating a blank PostgreSQL-backed MediaWiki
> install, then restoring into that.  That's what I always do in order to get
> a plain text backup of my server, and to migrate a wiki from one server to
> another.  There are all kinds of issues you could have left here before this
> works, trying to do a database-level export/reload--encoding, foreign key
> problems, who knows what else.  The database-agnostic export/import into XML
> avoids all of those.

Greg,

I'm with you and think that just doing an XML dump of the Wiki itself
is the best way to go. My question is when I do the XML dump as
follows:

/var/www/html/int/main/wiki/maintenance
[root@ideweb1 maintenance]# php dumpBackup.php --full > mw_wiki_2011_05_03.xml
PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: mcrypt: Unable to initialize module
Module compiled with module API=20050922, debug=0, thread-safety=0
PHP    compiled with module API=20060613, debug=0, thread-safety=0
[...]

So now I have a backup file of the Wiki on my old server running
MySQL. I have created the database and installed MediaWiki on the new
server using PostgreSQL as the backend. My question now is what are
your recommended steps in order to get the XML data imported on
MediaWiki using PostgreSQL? I know I also have to move the users since
the XML script / backup doesn't do anything in regards to the users.

Thanks again so much!