Re: Another swing at JSON - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joseph Adams
Subject Re: Another swing at JSON
Date
Re: Another swing at JSON
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Dimitri Fontaine
<dimitri@2ndquadrant.fr> wrote:
> Here's the ugly trick from ip4r, that's used by more extension:
>
> PREFIX_PGVER = $(shell echo $(VERSION) | awk -F. '{ print $$1*100+$$2 }')

Thanks.  I applied a minor variation of this trick to the JSON module,
so now it builds/installs/tests cleanly on both REL8_4_0 and HEAD
(though it won't work if you copy contrib/json into a pre-9.1
PostgreSQL source directory and type `make` without USE_PGXS=1).

I also went ahead and renamed uninstall_json.sql to
json--uninstall--0.1.sql (again, it's for pre-9.1 users) and removed
unnecessary trailing spaces.

> Anything going into the PostgreSQL code base will be for 9.2, so
> anything else would be a separate (if somewhat related) project.  I
> suspect the code will be a good deal cleaner if you do just the 9.2+
> version and see who wants it back-patched, if anyone does :)

It's a trivial matter to remove backward compatibility from
contrib/json, if anybody wants me to do it.  I can just remove
compat.[ch], */init-pre9.1.* , remove the PREFIX_PGVER trick from the
Makefile, remove a few lines in the source code, and maintain the
backported json module elsewhere.  It's just a matter of whether or
not explicit backward-compatibility is desirable in modules shipped
with releases.

Joey Adams

Attachment