Re: switch UNLOGGED to LOGGED - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: switch UNLOGGED to LOGGED
Date
Re: switch UNLOGGED to LOGGED  (Leonardo Francalanci <m_lists@yahoo.it>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 11:42:03AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
>> > It would solve the problem, but it would mean resetting unlogged relations on
>> > the standby at every shutdown checkpoint. ?That's probably not a performance
>> > problem, but it is a hack.
>>
>> I haven't thought about this too deeply, but I'm not sure I agree
>> that's a hack.  Why do you think it is?
>
> It would make the standby reset unlogged relations on both regular shutdowns and
> crashes, while the master only does so on crashes.  This creates no functional
> hazard since unlogged relation contents are never accessible during hot standby.
> It seems like a hack to rely on that fact at any distance, but perhaps a comment
> is enough to assuage that.

I think I'd be more comfortable with that route if it seems like it'll
work.  Whacking around the recovery code always makes me a little
nervous about bugs, since it's easy to fail to notice the problem
until something Bad happens.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company