Re: FDW table hints - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: FDW table hints
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 23:56, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 09:27:08PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> postgres=# DROP TABLE FOO;
>> ERROR:  "foo" is not a table
>> HINT:  Use DROP FOREIGN TABLE to remove a foreign table.
>> postgres=# CREATE INDEX baz ON foo(bar);
>> ERROR:  "foo" is not a table
>>
>> To some, that would be confusing - foo kind of is a table, just a
>> different kind. Should we have some HINT on that one as well?
>
> Until we can actually create indexes on foreign tables, yes ;)

Well, yeah, but I don't think we can squeeze that into 9.1 without
Robert noticing :P

Any suggestions on *what* the hint should be? Just something along the
line "indexes cannot be created on foreign tables"?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/