Re: Libpq enhancement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dmitriy Igrishin
Subject Re: Libpq enhancement
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hey Jeff,

2011/6/19 Jeff Shanab <jshanab@smartwire.com>

I am wondering If I am missing something obvious. If not, I have a suggestion for plpgsql.

Stored procedures can accept rows.

Libpq can receive rows (PQResult).

Wouldn’t it be a great interface if PQResult was “bi-directional”? Create a result set on the client then call the database with a command.

Perhaps…

PQinsert(PQResult,”schema.table”);  //iterate thru rows inserting

PQupdate(PQResult,”schema.table”); //iterate thru rows updateing

IMO, mapping C functions to SQL operators is bad idea.
If I understood you correctly, you want to make libpq ORM. But
without implementing a functional like C++ virtual functions on
the _backend_ side, it is impossible or ugly.

--
// Dmitriy.