Re: Pull up aggregate subquery - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hitoshi Harada
Subject Re: Pull up aggregate subquery
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2011/5/24 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
> Yeah.  I fixed the executor in 9.1, but got hung up on how to fix the
> planner.  So the planner still only knows how to do this for the case of
> an inner indexscan, ie, it can't handle parameterizing any piece of a
> plan larger than a single indexscan.  I have some ideas about fixing
> that but have had no time to pursue them since December :-(

If you can afford, could you describe the ideas? Or I'm glad if you
tell where to start looking. Anyway I'm going to dig into optimizer
more by myself.

> But I'm not sure
> whether the same argument can be made for arbitrary subqueries.

I guess it's hard to apply the mechanism to arbitrary subqueries, but
there are many use cases like my example, Agg node in inner.

Regards,

--
Hitoshi Harada