Re: Incoming/Sent traffic data - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Israel Ben Guilherme Fonseca
Subject Re: Incoming/Sent traffic data
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Thanks for the answers,

Craig, I'm already measuring the traffic only after the initial setup. It's clean data, only for the operation itself. That's why I have those lines with the comment 'Wait for ENTER KEY to clear the setup traffic'. About the log, i'm using log_statement = "all", on the postgres config,is there any other specific option?

Macieck, I'll try to give a look on these tools. My current implementation of proxy just use sockets to transmit the data between the app (that's why the port 4444 on connections) to the database, that's how I check the size of data transfered with it (it have a GUI to clear the traffic so I can check only the operation, not the setup).

Israel

2011/5/12 Maciek Sakrejda <msakrejda@truviso.com>
> The postgre log:
>
> Python LOG:  comando: select * from pessoa
> Java LOG:  executar <unnamed>: select * from pessoa
>
> (translation from portuguese to english)
> comando -> command
> executar -> execute

Based on these log messages, it looks like this particular invocation
in Python is using the simple query protocol [1], whereas the JDBC one
is using the extended protocol [2] (with an unnamed statement and
unnamed portal). As far as I can tell, the JDBC driver only uses the
simple protocol for COPY. The extended query protocol is a little
chattier, but I wouldn't expect a *huge* difference there.

In any case, for what you're doing, I would strongly recommend looking
at a tool like Wireshark or tcpdump to get more accurate results and
more insight into what happens on the wire. E.g., I'm rather surprised
that the Java bytes written is 5 times (!) lower than the Python
version. Make sure you know what you're actually measuring.

[1]: http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/protocol-flow.html#AEN91249
[2]: http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/protocol-flow.html#PROTOCOL-FLOW-EXT-QUERY
---
Maciek Sakrejda | System Architect | Truviso

1065 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Suite 215
Foster City, CA 94404
(650) 242-3500 Main
www.truviso.com