Re: postgresql and encfs? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Nolan
Subject Re: postgresql and encfs?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Michael Nolan <htfoot@gmail.com> writes:
> Has anyone successfully used encfs with postgresq recently?

> PANIC:  could not open file "pg_xlog/00000001000000090000000D" (log file 9,
> segment 13): Invalid argument

> The database version here is 8.2.11, running on a Linux Fedora Core 14
> server.

Does it work any better if you set wal_sync_method = fdatasync?

That's been our default on Linux since 8.2.19, because of certain
filesystems failing like this.  I'm kind of wondering why you're
not using a more current minor release, anyway, if this is a new
install.

                       regards, tom lane

Yes, that fixes the problem.  I was using that minor release because that's what the production server is still running.  For the purposes of this conference, I may use a 9.0.4 server, which I have running as I continue to work on upgrade issues.  (I just want to be able to run some ad hoc queries on the database while at that meeting without having to deal with net access problems, so the issues keeping them from running a more current release shouldn't be a factor.  With luck, I'll get the budget and  approval to schedule the move to a more current release while there.)

As always, you are a font of knowledge, Tom.
--
Mike Nolan