Re: Recover database from binary files - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Diogo Melo
Subject Re: Recover database from binary files
Date
List pgsql-general
just tar -zcvf 8.3.tar.gz /mnt/sdf/var/lib/postgresql/8.3/

since i found a way to mount the partition on /mnt/sdf.

first I installed postgres on a virtual machine and then I extracted the 8.3.tar.gz at /var/lib/postgresql . when i try to sh /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3 start it runs the command instantly but don't launch anything.

Is there a procedure to recover postgres databases on this occasions??

Diogo Oliveira de Melo
Ciência da Computação
ICMC - USP São Carlos

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Diogo Melo <dmelo87@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't boot the postgres server anymore. I just have access to the files,
> like the /var/lib/postgresql/8.3 path, for example. I use debian and
> postgresql-8.3 .
>
> I don't have any sql dump. How can I recover my databases with just the
> binary files there?
>
> I tried copy the /var/lib/postgresql/8.3 to another a installation of
> postgresql-8.3 on another server, but without success.

How did you copy them?  What error(s) did you get?