Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please ! - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Mike Ellsworth
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please !
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 6:30 AM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
> On 09/06/2011 22:25, Christophe Pettus wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 9, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Mike Ellsworth wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a link to the pdf somewhere?  Can't seem to locate.
>>> I'll run it and see if the A4 ->  Letter really is a problem if run on
>>> 8.5 x 14, then trimmed.
>>
>> Failing that, pretty much any major US stationary store carries A4 paper.
>
> You need to print on larger than the target size to have a bleed
> (images/colour running to the edge of the page) and the paper is then
> trimmed to size by the printer.
>
> Ray.

yup.  I'm also curious about how it will be bound.  From what I can
see, neither A4 nor Letter are ideal and won't give a magazine look.
All that layout effort + print expense but in the end, you'll slam a
staple in the upper left corner which is less than attractive/pro
looking.
To me, looks like the A4 should be set as A3 and the Ltr as Tabloid
with 2 pages, side by side.  Duplex, center fold & stitch. Page layout
would be:
1<->24....2<->23 [duplex]
etc.
center fold, center stitch, then trim a bit.
Each 'magazine' would be 6 sheets of paper vs current 12 (if
duplexed/backed up).

Whoever uses it should print one (grayscale) and rethink before they
spend money on full color printing.