Re: [ADMIN] Missing documentation for error code: 80S01 - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Oliver Jowett
Subject Re: [ADMIN] Missing documentation for error code: 80S01
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On 13 April 2011 21:57, Donald Fraser <postgres@kiwi-fraser.net> wrote:

> Technically yes. When performing a read on the socket you get -1 indicating
> EOF or remote socket closed. You don't get an IO error.
> The difficult part is what was the client doing when the server closes the
> socket?
> If the client wasn't doing anything then the next likely action a client
> would perform is to execute a query which would involve writing to the
> socket first and in this case you will get a broken pipe IO exception,
> rather than remote socket closed.
> If the client had already executed a query and was attempting to read
> response data then you get remote socket closed.
>
> I would like to propose that when a "remote socket closed" is detected that
> the JDBC driver uses a different error code to the one used for IO
> exceptions.

If the server is shut down mid-query, doesn't the backend complete the
current query cycle before closing the connection?
i.e. we'd see ErrorResponse, ReadyForQuery, and return control to the
app before seeing EOF anyway?
The protocol spec is a bit vague there.

Oliver