Re: Postgres questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Trenta sis
Subject Re: Postgres questions
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Craig,

First of all, thanks for you answer.
That I need is to connect to another databse (Cache Intersystems) to use select from Postgres. I have tried to configure dbilink but is not working with this database, with sql server seems to work but with poor peroformance.

About second question I'll try to answer your questions:
- Do I need true HA with failover, or just to protect against data loss?
It's a critical environment and if it is possible we need failover...

- Can I modify my apps to be aware of failover, or does failover have to
 be transparent?

Failover must be transparent for applications.

- Do I need multi-site failover or is all access of interest within
 one site?

With 2 site It could be a valid option, if one is master (RW), and secondary could be (RO) to use as datawarehouse (allow only selects, except in failover scenario: allow all)

- What kind of guarantees do I need about data loss windows at failover
 time? Can I afford to lose the last <x> transactions / seconds worth
 of transactions? Or must absolutely every transaction be retained
 at all costs?

A windows data loss could be some secodn/minutes but if is not very complex no data loss will be excellent.

I have scheduled to create a second server but I'm not sure what options to choose to implement with our requirements...

Thanks