Re: CRUD plpgsql generator - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: CRUD plpgsql generator
Date
List pgsql-general

http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/CRUD-functions-similar-to-SQL-stored-procedurs-for-postgresql-tables-td3372030.html
>>> http://myleshenderson.com/index.php/2007/11/16/postgresql-insert-function-generator
>>
>> It wouldn't be that difficult to make one IMO, but are you sure you
>> really want to do this? ISTM it's a bit of an anti-pattern.  If I had
>> to do it, I would make a plpgsql function which would generate the
>> functions by querying information_schema and generating create
>> function statements via 'execute'.
>>
>> merlin
>>
> Or a cheasy script to parse the ddl files and generate the functions?

I greatly prefer the information schema route, because parsing out the
necessary bits robustly is more work than it appears on the surface --
you'd want to be able to handle all manner of primary keys for
example.  IOW, even if you really wanted the function creation script
to be in say, perl, I'd still source the data from a query unless
there was no other route.

merlin