Re: planet in more languages - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: planet in more languages
Date
Re: planet in more languages  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Re: planet in more languages  (Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele.bartolini@2ndQuadrant.it>)
Re: planet in more languages  (Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>)
Re: planet in more languages  (Susanne Ebrecht <susanne@2ndquadrant.de>)
List pgsql-www
On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:47, Susanne Ebrecht <susanne@2ndquadrant.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> planet.postgresql.org is English only.
>
> When you google - you will also find some German blogs about PostgreSQL.
> I bet it is the same with French.
>
> Blogging in other languages then English is important in my eyes because
> there
> is tons of English words about PostgreSQL but very less in other languages.
>
> My idea is to extend planet. Adding something like de.planet.postgresql.org
> for German
> blogs or fr.planet.postgresql.org for French blogs.
>
> Additionally, the statistics on planet only show English blogs. Ppl who do
> much blogging
> in other languages just are falling through the statistics.

Seems like a good idea. I've opposed the idea of mixing languages in
the main feed from planet, but I'm definitely not against having
separate language feeds. I'd probably advocate
planet.postgresql.org/fr/ instead of a separate hostname (because then
it can be made entirely dynamic in the app rather than rely on dns
changes, for one). And it could be possible to set up something like
http://planet.postgresql.org/en-fr-de/ that would show an aggregation
of all those languages for those that want it.

I know at least some languages have already set up "their own planets"
already, iirc at least spanish. So we should probably hear what they
have to say on it :-)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/