Re: planet in more languages - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Susanne Ebrecht
Subject Re: planet in more languages
Date
List pgsql-www
Hello Magnus and all,

On 13.05.2011 15:44, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Seems like a good idea. I've opposed the idea of mixing languages in
> the main feed from planet, but I'm definitely not against having
> separate language feeds. I'd probably advocate
> planet.postgresql.org/fr/ instead of a separate hostname (because then
> it can be made entirely dynamic in the app rather than rely on dns
> changes, for one). And it could be possible to set up something like
> http://planet.postgresql.org/en-fr-de/ that would show an aggregation
> of all those languages for those that want it.

I really don't mind how the URL looks. That is up to you.

The response shows me that we could need it for French, Spanish,
Italian and German.

My feeling says that also Japanese could have interests.

Anyway - fr, es, it and de - these are also languages where I don't see
a problem with policy violating checks. There are enough contributors
speaking the language. I think you know what I mean.

I think something like http://planet.postgresql.org/en-fr-de-it-es/ is not
necessary.

I am not a fan from statistics at all but when there are statistics then
I think it is necessary that they are counted for all languages and not
English only.

I think en-fr-de-it-es - showing all contents on one page will end up in
chaos.

Latest when we would add Russian or Japanese I would bet that you
maximum will find
a handful ppl understanding all languages.

It might be a good idea just showing the topics ordered by timestamp
linked to the
special language planet. But not the whole blog content.

Susanne

--
Susanne Ebrecht - 2ndQuadrant
www.2ndQuadrant.com