Re: potential bug in trigger with boolean params - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Szymon Guz
Subject Re: potential bug in trigger with boolean params
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 11 May 2011 10:56, <tv@fuzzy.cz> wrote:
> Hi,
> I was trying to create a trigger with parameters. I've found a potential
> bug
> when the param is boolean.
>
> Here is code replicating the bug:
>
> CREATE TABLE x(x TEXT);
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION trigger_x() RETURNS TRIGGER AS $$
> BEGIN
>         RETURN NEW;
> END; $$ LANGUAGE PLPGSQL;
>
> CREATE TRIGGER trig_x_text BEFORE INSERT ON x FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE
> PROCEDURE
> trigger_x('text');
> CREATE TRIGGER trig_x_int BEFORE INSERT ON x FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE
> PROCEDURE
> trigger_x(10);
> CREATE TRIGGER trig_x_float BEFORE INSERT ON x FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE
> PROCEDURE trigger_x(42.0);
> CREATE TRIGGER trig_x_bool BEFORE INSERT ON x FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE
> PROCEDURE
> trigger_x(true);
>
> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "true"
> LINE 1: ... INSERT ON x FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE trigger_x(true);

The docs clearly state what the valid values are and the literal 'true' is
not one of them (TRUE is). See this:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/datatype-boolean.html

regards
Tomas

Well... no.

In the link you've provided there is something different:

Valid literal values for the "true" state are:

TRUE
't'
'true'
'y'
'yes'
'on'
'1'

so I could use 'true'... and this doesn't work.

And SQL is not case sensitive... but I will check it for you anyway:

CREATE TRIGGER trig_x_2 BEFORE INSERT ON x FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE trigger_x(TRUE);

ERROR:  syntax error at or near "TRUE"
LINE 1: ... INSERT ON x FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE trigger_x(TRUE);

regards
Szymon