Re: bytea performance tweak - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Oliver Jowett
Subject Re: bytea performance tweak
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On 23 June 2011 02:17, Andreas Schmitz <schmitz@occamlabs.de> wrote:

> I was wondering why the protocol uses such an encoding anyway. Wouldn't
> it be a lot faster just sending the bytes as they are?

We can request binary-format data, which for bytea is indeed just the
raw bytes, but the problem is that it's all or nothing: if we request
binary data we have to handle binary results for all datatypes, not
just bytea (because the request is per-column and generally the driver
doesn't know the column type at the point it makes the request)
Some progress has been made with that, but it's not production-ready
yet I think.

Oliver