Re: PostgreSQL + FreeBSD memory configuration, and an issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: PostgreSQL + FreeBSD memory configuration, and an issue
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 3:00 AM, Gipsz Jakab <clausewitz45@gmail.com> wrote:
> After the settings in the postgresql.conf our system is much faster, and no
> more error messages in the postgres.log, but If I try to drop a table, or
> add a new one, our system is stopping, until I kill the process, which is
> dropping or adding a table.

you are almost certainly waiting on a lock.  check pg_locks for
ungranted locks and pg_stat_activity for idle/long running
transactions.  If you ever find yourself having to bump
max_connections again, it is almost certainly a good idea to
investigate a connection pooler like pgbouncer.

merlin