Re: Functional dependencies - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alpha Beta
Subject Re: Functional dependencies
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks!

2011/6/14 Darren Duncan <darren@darrenduncan.net>
Alpha Beta wrote:
Hi list,  (newbie with databases)

I was looking out in net about how can we determine or find all functional dependencies in a  relational database, but didn't find.

So can please anyone here tell me if functional dependecies for each table of a relational database can be found explicitly or
we need algorithms for it or any other way?
Best regards!

Look for pairs of columns/attributes X and Y (or X may be a set of columns/attrs) where, for every row/tuple having the same value for X, the row/tuple always has the same value for Y.  In this situation, for the data you have at least, there would seem to be a relationship where X determines Y and Y depends on X.  Use an algorithm that does this looking for pairs. -- Darren Duncan