Re: rationale behind quotes for camel case? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From dennis jenkins
Subject Re: rationale behind quotes for camel case?
Date
Re: rationale behind quotes for camel case?  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndQuadrant.com>)
Re: rationale behind quotes for camel case?  (Vincent Veyron <vv.lists@wanadoo.fr>)
List pgsql-general

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:

The rebuttal to the above points is that the problem with not quoting
is that your identifiers are folded to lower case on the server which
can make them difficult to read in psql, pgadmin, etc. when outputted.
 This is true and I consequently use underscores to break up words in
my personal style (order_number, not OrderNumber), avoiding that
problem.  Some people don't like it, but it is the easiest to type,
the most tool friendly, and most regular.

merlin

(wandering slightly off-topic)

Any suggestions on how to name tables when table names contain both multi-word nouns and mutli-table "many-many" mappings?

Example:  Suppose that I have a table called "foo" and another table called "barBiz" (or "bar_biz" if you prefer).  Further, both of these tables have a "serial" primary key.  Now I want to create a third table that represents a many-to-many relationship between "foo" and "barBiz".  So far I have been keeping compound-noun table names in camel case, but mapping tables separate the base table names with underscores.  Thus the table name would be "foo_barBiz".

However, I find the above distasteful, for many of the reasons that Merlin and others have outlined.  Yet naming the table "foo_bar_biz" seems ambiguous to me, as does using just lower-case "foo_barbiz" / "barbiz".  These examples are contrived.  The real table names are normal English words with subjective meaning.

I'd like in ask the pgsql community for suggestions on how they name tables.

Thank you all for your time.