Re: Question about speed: Weird Behavior - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Samuel Gendler
Subject Re: Question about speed: Weird Behavior
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 6:07 PM, Israel Ben Guilherme Fonseca <israel.bgf@gmail.com> wrote:

When I use the count, my timings get around of

100 miliseconds.

When I use the select it goes to

30 miliseconds.

I don't know much about the internals of the protocol used to move data around for jdbc, but doesn't this actually make some sense?  If the query returns as soon as the first row has arrived, then select * should definitely be faster than select count(*), since count(*) can't return until the entire table has been scanned, whereas select * returns with the first row received.  That, at least, seems like a likely candidate for the difference between them, no?

--sam