Re: Major features for 9.1 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Nikolas Everett
Subject Re: Major features for 9.1
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 8:22 AM, Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> Andrew Lardinois  wrote:

> I could go on finding random articles with some content about
> serialization all night.

> [all sorts of articles about data serialization and Server Side
> Include technology]

But we're talking about *SERIALIZABLE transactions*, and you have yet
to cite an article which has anything to do with that.  Please don't
post more of this until you read the wiki page I cited and understand
the issue.  If you find an article related to *that* topic I'm all
ears.  Random articles about unrelated topics which happen to contain
similar words are not helpful.

It is rather unfortunate that serialize means both things.  It is also unfortunate that SSI also stands for Server Side Include.   This confusion is going to be common.  It isn't the end of the world but it is certainly going to have to be addressed.

I think it is saying something that one of the most exciting features in 9.1 would be lost on a huge portion of the DB using public.  I've interviewed DBAs who don't know what a transaction isolation level is.  Most of the developers I've interviewed don't know.

Nik