Re: PreparedStatement error for date parameter with overlaps - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Simon Mitchell
Subject Re: PreparedStatement error for date parameter with overlaps
Date
Re: PreparedStatement error for date parameter with overlaps  (Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>)
List pgsql-jdbc
This is a very minor issue, the problem only occurs with the prepared statement, a query string without prepared works fine. I was just following it up as it was a problem posted on an Australian forum, the original issue has been resolved.

Anyway, so the sql I am using is just based on the overlaps example from the postgresql doc http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/functions-datetime.html

The strange thing is the doing a toString() before executeQuery() prints out the sql as per the postgres example, I can cut and past it into psql and it runs fine.

Both   ?::date and  CAST(? AS date) fail in java.

   ?::date works fine in psql, but  CAST(? AS date) fails in psql.

SELECT (date CAST('2001-02-16' AS date), date ('2001-12-21')) OVERLAPS (date ('2001-10-30'), date ('2002-10-30'));
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "CAST"

I have achieved my main aim, to put a work around on the net, so it should turn up in a search. As I could not find one while looking at the opening post on this forumn

I think i had an issue with setDate as well, but may have been just my poor java.

Thanks guys for your replies.

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 11:52, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Simon Mitchell <simon@jseb.com> writes:
> // some bad code
>     sqlText = "SELECT (date ?, date ?) OVERLAPS (date ?, date ?);";

That's not going to work, because the syntax
       date 'something'
only works for literal constants, and a ? marker is not a literal constant.
You could try
       ?::date
or
       CAST(? AS date)
if you prefer to avoid Postgres-specific syntax.  Even better, don't use
setString --- that's really only meant for parameters that are of string
datatypes.

simon