Re: how to start a procedure after postgresql started. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From jun yang
Subject Re: how to start a procedure after postgresql started.
Date
Re: how to start a procedure after postgresql started.  (Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>)
List pgsql-general
2011/5/23 Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>:
> On 23/05/2011 10:13 AM, jun yang wrote:
>
>> actually, we will write the procedure in pl/python,then fork a new
>> thread or a new process which is easy.
>
> Yikes. Be careful there - it's not as easy as you think it is.
>
> Spawning a new thread within a PostgreSQL backend is a very, very, very bad
> idea unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing. Do not do it if there is
> any alternative.
>
> As for spawning a new process: a PostgreSQL backend's environment isn't
> guaranteed to be what you expect. I don't just mean environment variables.
> The most likely surprise will be finding yourself running in quite a
> limiting SELinux context if SELinux is present, but I'm sure there are more
> possible quirks. Also, on unix/linux, if the backend process that invoked
> your helper dies, your helper will be re-parented to init not to the
> postmaster, which won't be what you expected.

thanks for the info,i am just not have such deep learn of pg internal,
i am on user level,not hacker,so the mail is in pgsql-general,not
hacker list.

>>> There's been discussion of adding the ability for the postmaster to start
>>> helper daemons, and if that were merged you could use a helper started
>>> alongside the postmaster to do the work. Right now, though, you're better
>>> off doing things how PgAgent etc do it, that is out-of-process via a
>>> regular
>>> Pg connection.
>>>
>> then the one sitting between pg and borker is a helper daemon,it is
>> great,more info about that?
>> PgAgent is nice,i am just wondering why it can't be integrated in
>> standard pg install,cause security? functionality?
>
> Doing just that is sometimes discussed, and I think it'll happen eventually.
> First, though, PostgreSQL's postmaster needs to be altered so that it can
> start and manage helper programs and daemons. As of now, that hasn't
> happened yet, or at least nobody has written a good enough patch that the
> core team have been willing to accept it.
>
>> if helper daemon integrated in pg,the PgAgent can be a helper daemon too.
>> i'd like helper daemon can operate like windows service,you can
>> disable it,make it mannual start, or auto start with pg.
>
> Your best bet at the moment is to integrate with operating system service
> mechanisms. On Windows, use services. On UNIX/Linux, use the init system. On
> Mac OS X, use launchd.
>
> Part of the reason the postmaster hasn't been altered to support managing
> daemons is because some people (understandably) think that that's the OS's
> job, and not something PostgreSQL should duplicate.

well,from user viewpoint,i prefer that pg bundle with such
function,like extension in pg,the function default is disable.make it
easier for those who need it will be a promotion for pg.
many commercial db production include such a schedule function, not
only for making money,there is user need in practice.

> In an ideal world I'd agree with them, but the current computing world is
> far from ideal.  Every OS is annoyingly different in how it manages daemons,
> and many init systems are painfully limited in terms of the kind of events
> they can handle. Most can't even handle "If service <x> exits, do <y>".
> Monitoring capabilities and the like must be individually provided by each
> service if they want to be even a little bit portable.
>
> Nonetheless, I think that's your best bet right now.

yes,it is so complicated for a common user to do such things.