Re: Invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8", caused due to non wide-char-aware downcase_truncate_identifier() function on WINDOWS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8", caused due to non wide-char-aware downcase_truncate_identifier() function on WINDOWS
Date
In response to Invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8", caused due to non wide-char-aware downcase_truncate_identifier() function on WINDOWS  (Jeevan Chalke <jeevan.chalke@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
2011/6/7 Jeevan Chalke <jeevan.chalke@enterprisedb.com>:
> since we smash the identifier to lower case using
> downcase_truncate_identifier() function, the solution is to make this
> function should be wide-char aware, like LOWER() function functionality.
>
> I see some discussion related to downcase_truncate_identifier() and
> wide-char aware function, but seems like we lost somewhere.
> (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-11/msg01385.php)
> This invalid byte sequence issue seems like a more serious issue, because it
> might lead e.g to pg_dump failures.

It's a problem, but without an efficient algorithm for Unicode case
folding, any fix we attempt to implement seems like it'll just be
moving the problem around.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company