Re: Deriving release notes from git commit messages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Deriving release notes from git commit messages
Date
Re: Deriving release notes from git commit messages
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> There's been a steady flow of messages on pgsql-advocacy since last month
> (threads "Crediting sponsors in release notes?" and "Crediting reviewers &
> bug-reporters in the release notes") talking about who/how should receive
> credited for their work on PostgreSQL.  That discussion seems to be me
> heading in one inevitable direction:  it's not going to be possible to make
> everyone happy unless there's a way to track all of these things for each
> feature added to PostgreSQL:

I don't read -advocacy regularly, but reviewing the archives, it
doesn't seem to me that we've reached any conclusion about whether
including this information in the release notes is a good idea in the
first place.  It seems to me that one name for each feature is about
at the limit of what we can reasonably do without cluttering the
release notes to the point of unreadability.  I am OK with it the way
it is, but if we must change it I would argue that we ought to have
less credit there, not more.  Which is not to say we shouldn't have
credit.  I think crediting sponsors and reviewers and bug reporters is
a good idea.  But I think the web site is the place to do that, not
the release notes.

As for annotating the commit messages, I think something like:

Reporter: Sam Jones