Merged Model for libpq - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Annamalai Gurusami
Subject Merged Model for libpq
Date
Re: Merged Model for libpq  (John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi All,

I would like to know about the best approach to take for providing a merged model of libpq library.  When I say "merged model" it means that the client and server would be running as a single process.  A single client libpq application can be linked to either the client-server libpq library or merged libpq library.  For more clarity here is a small flow diagram:

Client Server Model:

Application -> libpq library (cs) -> TCP/IP network -> libpq (backend) -> pgsql server

Merged Model:

Application -> libpq library (merged) -> pgsql server

One approach that we are having in mind is to use the SPI interface and re-implement the libpq APIs.  Is there any other better approach?   Would it be possible to implement the client server protocol into an API interface, without involving the TCP/IP network?

Your thoughts and suggestions on this would be highly appreciated.

Rgds,
anna

--
'உண்மை ஒருநாள் வெளியாகும், அதில் உள்ளங்களெல்லாம் தெளிவாகும்.
பொறுமை ஒருநாள் புலியாகும், அதற்கு பொய்யும் புரட்டும் பலியாகும்.'