Re: Backpatching of "Teach the regular expression functions to do case-insensitive matching" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Backpatching of "Teach the regular expression functions to do case-insensitive matching"
Date
Re: Backpatching of "Teach the regular expression functions to do case-insensitive matching"  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Well, since any problems in this are are going to bite us eventually
>> in 9.0+ even without any further action on our part, maybe it would be
>> wise to think up something we could add to the regression tests.  That
>> would give us some immediate feedback from the buildfarm, and also
>> significantly improve the odds of someone compiling on a weird
>> platform noticing if things are broken.
>
> No objection here, but how will we do that?  The regression tests are
> designed to work in any locale/encoding, and would become significantly
> less useful if they weren't.

I'm just shooting from the hip here, but maybe we could have a
separate (probably smaller) set of tests that are only designed to
work in a limited range of locales and/or encodings.  I'm really
pleased that we now have the src/test/isolation stuff, and I think
some more auxilliary test suites would be quite excellent.  Even if
people didn't always want to run every single one when doing things
manually, the buildfarm certainly could.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company