Re: Executing \i of psql command using libpq library - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Josh Kupershmidt
Subject Re: Executing \i of psql command using libpq library
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> "Edmundo Robles L." <erobles@sensacd.com.mx> writes:
>> How can i get the same behavior of psql -c "\\i './a_lot_of_sentences'" bd user, using the libpq library???
>
> libpq does not contain any such behavior, so you can't.

You can take a look at process_file() in psql's command.c if you're
interested to see how psql, which itself uses libpq to talk to
Postgres, implements the \i backslash command.

You haven't really explained why just having your application call out
to psql won't work. You could, of course, attempt to duplicate the
functionality of process_file() but frankly I suspect doing so would
result in a poorly implemented subset of psql.

Josh