Re: Installing via pip under Win7 + virtualenv + VC++2008 - Mailing list psycopg

From Daniele Varrazzo
Subject Re: Installing via pip under Win7 + virtualenv + VC++2008
Date
List psycopg
On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Jason Erickson <jerickso@stickpeople.com> wrote:

> I am probably a special case as I build everything from source.  I can see
> most people building psycopg2 from source using the prebuilt PostgreSQL
> binaries, so we should make sure it builds in that configuration. Challenges
> I see is that 1) we should make sure that the libpq dlls are in the path so
> can be found with python, 2) if a psycopg2 distribution file is made, we
> would also need to include in the dlls.

I see these relevant scenarios of people building psycopg on windows:

1) You use gcc to build python extension with prebuilt PG binaries
(e.g. with a package such as
http://www.develer.com/oss/GccWinBinaries)

2) You use VC with prebuilt PG binaries

3) You are Jason, providing fine binaries since the 20th century :)

these are in ascending order of importance for me (also because people
in 1 are probably used enough to tweak small glitches in the setup).

Stephen is already happily hacking on the setup in a github branch: he
has already cleaned it up a little bit. Once he says he is fine, you
may test if everything is ok for you and then release, so scenarios 2
and 3 are covered.

I may try later and check if the build works on win/gcc too on an old
vm of mine, but I don't consider it a precondition for release.

Thank you both for your help!

-- Daniele