Re: Unlogged tables, persistent kind - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Unlogged tables, persistent kind
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 3:36 AM, Leonardo Francalanci <m_lists@yahoo.it> wrote:
> The only data we can't rebuild it's the heap. So what about an option for UNlogged indexes on a LOGged table? It
wouldalways preserve data, and it would 'only' cost a rebuilding of the indexes in case of an unclean shutdown. I think
itwould give a boost in performance for all those cases where the IO (especially random IO) is caused by the indexes,
andit doesn't look too complicated (but maybe I'm missing something).

+1.

> I proposed the unlogged to logged patch (BTW has anyone given a look at it?) because we partition data based on a
timestamp,and we can risk loosing the last N minutes of data, but after N minutes we want to know data will always be
there,so we would like to set a partition table to 'logged'.

That approach is something I had also given some thought to, and I'm
glad to hear that people are thinking about doing it in the real
world.  I'm planning to look at your patch, but I haven't gotten to it
yet, because I'm giving priority to anything that must be done to get
9.1beta1 out the door.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company