Re: PostgreSQL + FreeBSD memory configuration, and an issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gipsz Jakab
Subject Re: PostgreSQL + FreeBSD memory configuration, and an issue
Date
List pgsql-general
Ok Vick, thanks, and sorry for the off-list message.

regards,
Carl

2011/4/8 Vick Khera <vivek@khera.org>

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Gipsz Jakab <clausewitz45@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Vick, I'll try it tonight. I will give 1024 shared_buffers and maintenance_work_mem, and 102 MB of work_mem.

A question: I didn't use (it's marked with #) the effective_planner (or any other planner method or config option). Is it ok, when I turn it on with that parameter: 1036MB?

the variables below are all the ones I change from default other than the logging settings (I like more verbose logging).

I have no opinion or experiences on any other settings.

DROP/ADD TABLE stuck: I realized, that the locks number is so high, what about these settings:

I don't think it has to do with number of locks, but with actually waiting for a lock.

deadlock_timeout = 1s
max_locks_per_transaction = 64

is it ok? or is it too high?

That depends really on your application's needs.  I wouldn't change it unless you get warnings that you are hitting this limit.

Please keep the message on-list.