Re: pg_dump on Hot standby : clarification on how to - Mailing list pgsql-general

From bubba postgres
Subject Re: pg_dump on Hot standby : clarification on how to
Date
List pgsql-general
What I mean is if I do pg_dump on slave I get the " ERROR: canceling statement due to conflict with recovery".
So I googled and tried the solution listed in the linked thread.
I did a "start transaction" via psql on the master but I continued to get the error.
Wondered if there was more to it than that.

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca> wrote:
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:26:38AM -0700, bubba postgres wrote:
> I would just like to get some clarification from the list on how to do a
> pg_dump on the slave in the face of "canceling statement due to conflict
> with recovery".
> The following links seem to indicate that If I start an idle transaction on
> the master I should be able to do the pg_dump, but I tried this in psql on
> the master "start transaction", and was still unable to do a pg_dump on the
> slave at the same time.
> Is there something special about using dblink that would make this all work?

Could you define what you mean by "unable to do pg_dump on the slave"?

I don't see why dblink would be the special thing.  I think what you
want is to hold a transaction open on the master so that the WAL can't
get recycled.  At least, that's what I understood from the post.  I
haven't actually tried it yet, but to me it sounded like it ought to
work.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@crankycanuck.ca