Re: Re: Can't drop temp table in subfunction during cursor loop (being used by active queries) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Re: Can't drop temp table in subfunction during cursor loop (being used by active queries)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 8:35 AM, jonathansfl <jonathanbrinkman@yahoo.com> wrote:
> How would I create a dynamic table name, using the loop increment as a
> parameter?
>
> DROP TABLE IF EXISTS tt_PERSONSTODEACTIVATE || v_iteration CASCADE;
>
> that doesn't work. don't think i can use a dynamic variable as a table name,
> so i can't build the table name as a variable. perhaps if the entire DROP
> TABLE is inside dynamic SQL and I execute entire script. could try that,
> although it's messy for such a simple problem.
>
> i still don't understand still why the TEMP tables are not acting TEMPORARY
> and are not going away when their loop ends.

'execute' is for that:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/plpgsql-statements.html#PLPGSQL-STATEMENTS-EXECUTING-DYN

temp tables go away when the database session exits.

merlin