Re: proper regex_replace() syntax - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ken Tanzer
Subject Re: proper regex_replace() syntax
Date
List pgsql-general
I think this is the syntax you want:

SELECT regexp_replace(fname,'z','Z') FROM table;

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Geoffrey Myers <lists@serioustechnology.com> wrote:
I want to use regex_replace() to replace characters in multiple records.

What I would like to do is this:

select regex_replace((select fname from table), 'z', 'Z'));

The problem is, the subquery returns more then one row.

So, is there a way to do what I'm trying to do?  That is, replace the same character in multiple records using regex_replace() ?

In reality, we are trying to change characters like the 1/2 character to the three characters '1/2'.

Thanks for any assistance.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."