Re: %100 CPU on Windows Server 2003 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: %100 CPU on Windows Server 2003
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Allen Sooredoo <Allen_Sooredoo@carrefour.com> wrote:
Hi,
we are facing a performance issue on Postgres 8.4, the CPU reaches 100% with less than 50 simultaneous users.

We were thinking to migrate the HR system from Oracle to Postgres but now that we have those big performance problems on relatively small applications, we are questioning this choice.

The machine configuration, dedicated to Postgres is as follow:
RAM: 3GB
CPU: Intel Xeon CPU 3.2 Ghz

Could you please provide us some support regarding this issue?

Probably, but you'll need to provide more details.  It is likely that you have some queries that need to be tuned, and possibly some settings that need to be changed.  But without some information about what is using up all the CPU time, it's hard to speculate as to what the problem might be.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

You might also want to read this article:

http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/394523-configuring-postgresql-for-pretty-good-performance

I've also found that log_min_duration_statement is pretty useful for figuring out where the CPU time is going - it helps you find your long-running queries.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company