Re: Recover database from binary files - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Diogo Melo
Subject Re: Recover database from binary files
Date
List pgsql-general
You were right. It was just a matter of set chown -R postgres.postgres /var/lib/postgresql/8.3

:D :D :D

Case solved :D
Thanks a lot dude :D

Diogo Oliveira de Melo
Ciência da Computação
ICMC - USP São Carlos

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Diogo Melo <dmelo87@gmail.com> wrote:
> just tar -zcvf 8.3.tar.gz /mnt/sdf/var/lib/postgresql/8.3/
> since i found a way to mount the partition on /mnt/sdf.
> first I installed postgres on a virtual machine and then I extracted the
> 8.3.tar.gz at /var/lib/postgresql . when i try to sh
> /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3 start it runs the command instantly but don't
> launch anything.
>
> Is there a procedure to recover postgres databases on this occasions??

Pretty much what you are doing is the procedure.  Check permissions on
that folder, look in the postgresql logs, look in the system logs,
etc.  It'll likely say something about wrong permissions, but that's
just a guess.