Re: Press coverage for 9.1 Beta - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Press coverage for 9.1 Beta
Date
Re: Press coverage for 9.1 Beta
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 03, 2011 1:24:53 am Dave Page wrote:
>> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 2:40 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> > So far:
>> >
>> > http://www.cio.com.au/article/384968/open_source_postgresql_9_1_beta_rele
>> > ased/
>> >
>> > http://lwn.net/Articles/440666/ (subscriber-only content)
>> >
>> > http://www.databasejournal.com/features/postgresql/article.php/3932351/Po
>> > stgreSQL-91-Gets-Synchronous.htm
>>
>> I have to wonder why these mention PGXN given that at the moment it's
>> just a download site, providing similar functionality to software
>> catalog on www.postgresql.org.
>>
>> When there is a command line client available, then sure, it should be
>> promoted, but until then it's a WIP (I would say vapourware, but I
>> that seems unfair, as I know David certainly is working on it).
>
> Well the same could be said about SQL/MED and SE-postgres, both new items at the
> just getting started stage:)

Putting aside the fact that Damien pointed out that the PGXN website
is out of date (and therefore so is my information on the lack of a
cli), no, those are not the same. The code for both projects is there
in 9.1 and can be used for production applications. Those two features
are in no way vapourware, nor are they a WIP, at least as far as the
feature set for this release is concerned.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company