Re: Postgres refusing to use >1 core - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Aren Cambre
Subject Re: Postgres refusing to use >1 core
Date
List pgsql-performance

I suspect your app is doing lots of tiny single-row queries instead of
efficiently batching things. It'll be wasting huge amounts of time
waiting for results. Even if every query is individually incredibly
fast, with the number of them you seem to be doing you'll lose a LOT of
time if you loop over lots of little SELECTs.

Using unix sockets, you can expect about 10-20.000 queries/s on small simple selects per core, which is quite a feat. TCP adds overhead, so it's slower. Over a network, add ping time.

I'm talking to a Postgres on localhost, so in theory, I ought to be getting really good throughput, but again, the problem may be with the way C#'s PLINQ "multithreading in a can" is managing things.

Aren