Re: help speeding up a query in postgres 8.4.5 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: help speeding up a query in postgres 8.4.5
Date
List pgsql-performance
[ woops, accidentally replied off-list, trying again ]

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Maria L. Wilson
<Maria.L.Wilson-1@nasa.gov> wrote:
> thanks for taking a look at this....  and it's never too late!!
>
> I've tried bumping up work_mem and did not see any improvements -
> All the indexes do exist that you asked.... see below....
> Any other ideas?
>
> CREATE INDEX invsnsr_idx1
>  ON invsensor
>  USING btree
>  (granule_id);
>
> CREATE INDEX invsnsr_idx2
>  ON invsensor
>  USING btree
>  (sensor_id);

What about a composite index on both columns?

> CREATE UNIQUE INDEX granver_idx1
>  ON gran_ver
>  USING btree
>  (granule_id);

It's a bit surprising to me that this isn't getting used.  How big are
these tables, and how much memory do you have, and what values are you
using for seq_page_cost/random_page_cost/effective_cache_size?

...Robert