Re: Sorting Issue - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Samuel Gendler
Subject Re: Sorting Issue
Date
List pgsql-sql

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
"Ozer, Pam" <pozer@automotive.com> writes:
> Isn't this the English standard for collation?  Or is this a non-c
> locale as mentioned below?  Is there anyway around this?

>        LC_COLLATE = 'en_US.utf8'

en_US is probably using somebody's idea of "dictionary order", which
I believe includes ignoring spaces in the first pass.  You might be
happier using "C" collation.  Unfortunately that requires re-initdb'ing
your database (as of existing PG releases).

ugh. So what's the initdb incantation necessary to sort the way I'd expect an alphabetic sort to happen?  I'm literally just in the process of bringing up a new project, so it's a perfect opportunity for me to get this set up correctly to begin with.  THe default on my system was definitely en_US.utf8.

--sam