Re: Column names getting lower-case in SELECT statements when issued via JDBC - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Szymon Guz
Subject Re: Column names getting lower-case in SELECT statements when issued via JDBC
Date
List pgsql-general

On 15 May 2011 21:04, Eduardas F. <tcpa252@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello everyone, today I encountered this nasty problem:
Whenever you issue an SELECT command from JDBC (prepared statement) you end up with column X does not exist. And column X name is shown in lower-case  As I understand, PostgreSQL Server or PostgreSQL JDBC driver converts column names containing upper-case letters to lower-case? Is there an easy way to bypass this behaviour? (Channing column names is not an option).

Here's an example of crashing SELECT: "SELECT password, accessLevel, lastServer, userIP FROM accounts WHERE login=?"
You end up with 'column "accesslevel" does not exist'.

Thanks for help in advance.

Hi,
if you create a column using "accessLevel", then you have to access it using "accessLevel". If you omit all the quotation marks, then the name is stored as lowercase so you can access it using accessLevel or ACCESSLEVEL or accesslevel.

Let's try this query:
"SELECT \"password\", \"accessLevel\", \"lastServer\", \"userIP\" FROM accounts WHERE login=?"

I don't think there is any way to change the default behavior.

regards
Szymon